This website is intended for the public interested in the Integral Archaeological Project of the Closos de Can Gaià site (Felanitx, Mallorca). The aim is to provide information on all aspects of the project and to maintain a constant dialogue between the research team and the interested public.
The first written information we have about the Bronze Age site of Closos de Can Gaià dates back to the beginning of the 20th century when the scholar Miquel Bordoy published his “Historia de Felanitx” (History of Felanitx) (1920). Later, in 1967, the first work was carried out on the site, when Dr. Rosselló Bordoy and Dr. Otto Herman Frey carried out a planimetry of the site.
The current intervention project began in 1996, directed by Bartomeu Salvà and Dr. Manel Calvo, members of the Arqueobalear research team, which is part of the University of the Balearic Islands. Since then, the project has continued year after year, making this site one of the best-studied prehistoric sites in the Balearic Islands and consolidating an archaeological project that is innovative in many respects and particularly interesting in terms of its concern for creating a close relationship with civil society.